Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Merry After-Christmas

What have you been up to, dear friends? We had a good Christmas. When last I left you, we were in the midst of the girls' school holiday concerts and classroom cookie receptions. Christmas vacation began, and we spent time sledding, wrapping gifts, making more gingerbread men, and having friends over for cookies.

Then Christmas came, and we opened new toys:

The Li'l Woodzeez schoolhouse, bakery, and turtle family. So cute.
 

Genevieve, who prefers all things boyish, loved the t-shirt I found last minute for her at Target on clearance for $2.38, more than anything else she opened. Well, the t-shirt, the unisex black track pants, and the football-, baseball-, and basketball-themed socks. That's my girl.



I was the lucky recipient of this:

Ellington clutch in burnt orange

and this:

Hardcover!

which proves that my husband has good taste---or, rather, that he read the list he requested of me, of things I'd like to get for Christmas.

I made this insanely decadent Black-and-White Coffee Cake again for Christmas Day breakfast, and it turned out better this year than last, because this time I didn't mess up the chocolate glaze:


Only on Christmas Day could something that looks like that be considered "breakfast."

Julia and I both came down with Christmas colds, which is a serious bummer, but it's hard to complain too much about being sick on Christmas when you remember that the families in Newtown, CT, would give anything to be sick on Christmas if it meant that their children were still alive and with them. Perspective.

Before getting sick, we ice skated on our corner pond on Christmas Eve Day, which was just as Currier & Ives-ish as it sounds. This is the year the girls are really going to get it, I can tell. They had fun and didn't cry with each fall, and they keep wanting to go back for more. As a native Minnesotan who learned to skate as a preschooler and grew up on the ice, I am thrilled: At last.

Now we laze around the messy house and play with new toys and eat Christmas cookies and play in the snow and drink cocoa. Soon we pack up for a drive north to Grandma and Grandpa's for "early New Year's." I'm praying my cold virus abates by then. As usual, I feel a bit like my head is going to explode. (I don't think I've ever mentioned this, but the reason I'm always so extra-miserable when I catch a virus is that I am allergic to the main ingredient in all the over-the-counter multi-symptom cold medicines, so I basically can't take anything but Tylenol when I'm sick. Which just doesn't cut it.)

Christmas vacation is too short. The kids get barely more than a week before it's back to the usual routine. I have resolved to paint the master bathroom in January, but I'm not quite ready to jump into such taxing chores, so I'd prefer it if the holidays could hang around a little longer. I'd much rather read Stacy London and drink hot chocolate than color-test paint and climb ladders to blue-tape the edge of the ceiling. Gah. 

Ah, but there's time for that next week. For now, let's just hang out and relax, shall we? 

Oh--and by the way. The pale yellow cords in the smaller size fit like a glove. So, there's that, too.

Happy Holidays, Happy New Year, and please let me know how you all are doing. 

xo.

No comments: